Constitution of Friends of the Old Town Hall, Sheffield
The Friends of the Old Town Hall
The aim of the Group shall be to
*promote and investigate potential new uses for the OTH
*encourage appropriate restoration, maintenance and use of the OTH
*research sources of funding that would support suitable restoration and re-use of the building and the heritage buildings around it
*research potential organisational options for managing the restoration and re-use of the building
*publicise the OTH to spread awareness of its condition and attract support for its restoration and re-use.
In order to achieve its aim the Group may:
- a) Raise money
- b) Open bank accounts
- c) Take out insurance
- d) Acquire and run buildings
- e) Employ staff
- f) Organise courses and events
- g) Work with similar Groups and exchange information and advice with them
- h) Do anything that is lawful which will help it to fulfil its aim.
- a) Membership of the Group shall be open to any individual over eighteen without regards to disability, political or religious affiliation, race, sex or sexual orientation who is:*interested in helping the Group to achieve its aim *willing to abide by the rules of the Group and *willing to pay any subscription agreed by the Management Committee.
- b) Each member shall have one vote at meetings of the Group.
- c) The membership of any member may be terminated for good reason by the Management Committee: provided that the member concerned shall have the right to be heard by the Management Committee, accompanied by a friend, before a final decision is made.
- a) The Group shall be administered by a Management Committee of not less than three and not more than 8 individuals elected at the Group`s Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- b) The Officers of the Management Committee shall be: the Chairperson, the Treasurer and the Secretary/ies.
- c) The Management Committee may co-opt onto the Committee up to three individuals, in an advisory and non-voting capacity that it feels will help to fulfil the aim of the Group.
- d) The Management Committee shall meet at least 3 times a year.
- e) At least three Management Committee members must be present for a Management Committee meeting to take place.
- f) Voting at Management Committee meetings shall be by a show of hands. If there is a tied vote then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- g) The Management Committee shall have the power to remove any member of the Committee for good and proper reason.
- h) The Management Committee may appoint any other member of the Group as a Committee member to fill a vacancy, provided that the maximum prescribed is not exceeded.
6) The Duties of the Officers
- a) The duties of the Chairperson shall be to:
- Chair meetings of the Committee and the Group
- represent the Group at functions/meetings that the Group has been invited to and
- act as the spokesperson of the Group when necessary.
- b) The duties of the Secretary/ies shall be to:
- keep a membership list
- prepare in consultation with the Chairperson the agenda for meetings of the Committee and the Group
- take and keep minutes of all meetings and
- collect and circulate any relevant information within the Group.
- c) The duties of the Treasurer shall be to:
- supervise the financial affairs of the Group and
- keep proper accounts that show all monies received and paid out by the Group.
- a) All monies received by or on behalf of the Group shall be applied to further the aim of the Group and for no other purpose.
- b) Any bank accounts opened for the Group shall be in the name of the Group.
- c) Any cheques issued shall be signed by the Treasurer and one other nominated member of the Management Committee.
- d) The Group shall ensure that its accounts are audited or independently examined every year.
- e) The Group may pay reasonable out of pocket expenses including travel, childcare and meal costs to members or Management Committee members.
8) Annual General Meeting.
- a) The Group shall hold an Annual General Meeting (AGM) in the month of March
- b) All members shall be given at least fourteen days notice of the AGM and shall be entitled to attend and vote.
- c) The business of the AGM shall include:
* receiving a report from the Chairperson on the Group`s activities over the year
* receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of the Group
* electing a new Management Committee and
* considering any other matter as may be decided.
- d) At least 10 members must be present for the Annual General Meeting and any other General Meeting to take place.
9) General Meetings.
- There shall be 2 General Meetings (excluding the AGM) each year.
- All members shall be entitled to attend and vote.
10) Special General Meeting.
A Special General Meeting may be called by the Management Committee or 10 members to discuss an urgent matter. The Secretary shall give all members fourteen days notice of any Special General Meeting together with notice of the business to be discussed.
11) Alterations to the Constitution.
Any changes to this Constitution must be agreed by at least two-thirds of those members present and voting at an Annual General or a Special General Meeting.
The Group may be wound up at any time if agreed by two-thirds of those members present and voting at an Annual General or a Special General Meeting. In the event of winding up any assets remaining after all debts have been paid shall be given to another Group with a similar charitable aim.